Wednesday 8 August 2007

Empire or Kingdom

This is the title of a chapter in the book 'Let My People Grow'. The chapter asks the question of whether churches, and especially church leaders, are seeking to build the Kingdom or to build an empire. The writer then goes on to say that if we are to build the Kingdom Churches need to spend far more time in eqiupping their members to be salt and light in the homes, workplaces etc rather than getting them to just do church stuff better.
This is a comment I've heard a lot and I know that I constantly find myself in the empire building role rather than the Kingdom building one. However, I'm not yet sure anyone really knows what it would take to equip Church members to be radically live out their faith in the workplace etc. Most books on discipleship are about learning to pray, reading the Bible, fellowship etc not about how to see Kingdom values in a secular workplace or how to be a good employee!
So what does the Church need to do to provide a better base from which it's members can enter their everyday world and live for Jesus in it? Certainly at St Andrew's we need to be working on people discovering a sense of vocation to their jobs (paid or unpaid - ie home maker) and then showing that the Church values the work they do. After all it really is in the home and in the workplace that Christians have the most opportunity to witness and make a difference.
For me I know I need to keep working at changing my focus to a Kingdom mentality.

No comments: